DISCLAIMER: None of the posts or comments on this blog constitute legal advice, and we strongly recommend that you consult with a lawyer before taking any actions against landlords or other parties.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Manas - Fine Indian Cuisine


Alright, a brief interlude from all the heavy housing stuff. I want to share a great restaurant with you that's within walking distance of campus. Manas Indian Cuisine is a great little hole-in-the wall place that serves -- you guessed it -- Indian food!

What can I say, it's reasonably priced, some of the best Indian food I've had ever had (just be sure to order mild if you're a pansy American like me), they do deliveries *swoon*, have a lunch buffet Thursday through Sunday, and they have *gasp* a PARKING LOT! *faints with delight* (Hey, hey you out-of-towners, stop mocking me. If you've spent more than five minutes in LA, you'll understand why that's awesome). The waiters are wonderful, too. The hostess, Jaya (I hope I hope I spelled that right), is the sweetest lady, and always bustles around in her traditional Indian outfit making sure you're comfortable.

My one beef with the place is the new TV. In the past, they had one TV on the back wall, which I loved. Normally, I despise TVs in restaurants. I can forgive having a TV in a bar. I get that. But when I'm at a restaurant, I want to be with whoever I'm sharing a meal with. TVs are distracting and frustrating, and make an otherwise pleasant meal into a tiring attempt to multi-task. BUT I LOVE the TV on the back wall of Manas, distracting though it may be, because it continuously plays clips from Bollywood movies *squee!* Talk about ambiance.

Unfortunately, they recently put in this new, giant-ass TV over the front door, so either way you face, you're facing a screen. And this second TV plays regular, boring, American TV shows. Grrrr. It isn't too hard to ignore, but it does detract from the formerly perfect ambiance.

Still, the food is great, the people are great, and I and my friends have been satisfied, repeat customers there for years. So, after you, your family, and your friends have finished a long, hard day of moving, haul your sweaty selves over to Manas for a nice, relaxing meal. I'd especially recommend the Chicken Pakora, and either their Garlic or Cheese Naan (sooo delicious).

Oh, and I suppose after all that hype, you'll probably want to know how to get there...

Location:
Manas Indian Cuisine
2823 South Vermont Ave
Los Angeles, CA, 90007

Phone: (213) 731-4333

No comments:

Post a Comment